Wednesday, August 4, 2010

the color purple

Before my current job, I worked at a coffee shop for over 5 years and we were strictly forbidden to wear nail polish of any sort. So when I started at my new job it hit me that I can wear nail polish again! Shortly after this realization, my good friend Melia and I went downtown to get manicures. Now, it wasn't nearly as expensive as I was expecting, but I still don't think I could justify getting more than like 2 a year.

My freshman year in college, I bought a Jil Jordan manicure kit at the mall. I remember it costing $20 dollars and I'm sure those people at the kiosks that love to invade your personal space are still selling similar kits. Now, while I definitely think that if you are looking for a fun get-together with a girlfriend you should go ahead and splurge at the salon, I prefer to do my own nails at home a majority of the time.


You can get kits like this Manicure and Pedicure Deluxe Set at Ulta for $17 or a kit called From Tip to Toe Manicure and Pedicure Kit at Target for $10 or Amazon for $8.45 plus shipping. My kit includes a nail file, buffer, cuticle sticks, cuticle oil and hand cream.

I usually like to cut and file my nails first. Then, if I'm not in a rush I like to exfoliate my hands with something like Apricot Scrub (I use the generic Target brand) and then a lotion (I am obsessed with Gold Bond) and let the lotion absorb completely.

Then I'll rub in the cuticle oil and use the orange sticks to push my cuticles back. A lot of manicure kits also include the cuticle cutting tools, which I actually like, but find more time consuming. Then I buff them starting with the roughest side of the buffer to get rid of any ridges and working my way to the smoothest side.

Nails before any work

 Nails after buffer


Next I paint! I actually skip base coats and top coats because I like to change my color so often that I don't need the lasting effects of these extra steps. I know I'm not the best manicurist (just look at Amber's DIY pedicure!), but I figured I just saved myself $15-$20 including a tip.



This color is called TuTu Cute from Ulta. They almost always have in-store BOGO deals and I bought this during a buy 2 get 2 free, so they were $2.50 each! 


Anyone else have a DIY manicure kit? Where did you get yours and for how much? For those of you staying loyal to your professional manicures, do you have any tips for saving money at the salon?

2 comments:

  1. your nails look fab and i remember i bought that damn kit too ahhaha forgot about that. we were so young and naive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, and i also bought this nail polish while you were visiting chi! i bet you have the same color... hahaha

    ReplyDelete