Thursday, August 12, 2010

fall fashion goals

With fall quickly approaching, we've already started thinking about our not-so-ready closets. It seems as though every year we don't realize how quickly the weather changes (we live in West Michigan and Chicago, you would think we'd learn..) and how unprepared we are wardrobe-wise. If you're like us, sometimes that means buying long sleeved shirts and boots on impulse, rather than taking time to look for the best deals. So this year we decided to give ourselves a few fall fashion goals. We came up with some items we really want for the upcoming season and gave ourselves budgets for each one. Hopefully this even starts to mentally prepare us for winter and allows us to spend time looking for deals, rather than buying a hideous jacket for $50 just because we refuse to embrace the chilly weather until November.

Amber's Fall Fashion Goals:
1. pencil skirt-- $15
2. white button down shirt that actually fits me in the bust region-- $15
3. ankle boots-- $30
4. lightweight fall dress jacket-- $30
5. black dress pants for work-- $15

Courtney's Fall Fashion Goals:
1. 2 pairs of pants that are NOT jeans-- $30 each
2. black knee-high leather/faux boots-- $60
3. military style fall jacket-- $30
4. cute hat (that is not a beret!)-- $10
5. structured handbag-- $30

Do you guys have any fall must-haves already in mind? Tell us your goals for this fall, it will really help you to save money by planning ahead and giving yourself a budget!

4 comments:

  1. Well see, I have a problem. I am on a mission to loose weight and I don't want to buy new clothes because they sort of make me have a reason to not loose the weight, lol. But, last fall I was pregnant and was unable to really shop for what I wanted, maternity clothes have come a long way, but I wanna shop for new fun clothes for this fall and not something with an elastic waistline! What do you think I should do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually think planning and budgeting would be great for your situation! since you want to stay motivated to lose weight, maybe you could limit the amount of new fall clothes you buy at first. so you could say: i will buy myself X number of items for $15 each and once i reach my goal weight, i will buy myself X many more items for $15 each.

    that way if you do end up buying things, you'll be motivated by the thought of treating yourself to a few more things once you reach your goal.

    also, maybe buy some fall pieces that don't matter what your weight is. maybe boots, scarves, cardigans (which look just fine a little on the loose side for while you're losing weight).

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I second everything Courtney says!

    And I'd like to add my own experience in this department. I've gained a significant amount of weight in the last five years (I used to be effortlessly tiny). Obviously, I can't quite relate to having birthed a child, but I know what it's like to be unhappy with your own figure. For me, that has made shopping a challenge. A product that actually does make a difference is Spanx. I am not sure if you've tried them. They can be pricey, but I was able to find similar knockoff body shapers at Meijer for under $10.00. Walmart probably carries them too; I usually find them in the underwear section.

    I've also been working out regularly for about six months or so now, and while the weight definitely isn't falling off, I do look more toned because the weight that I carry kind of sits differently on my body. In all honesty, it's hard enough to get my pets to cooperate long enough for me to complete a workout in my living room, so you've got your work cut out for you with darling Lillian!

    Make sure to keep us posted on your progress!

    Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Great advice! It helps I have a fall birthday and nobody ever knows what to get me so I usually receive money :)

    ReplyDelete